Nursing
SO MUCH BETTER. I nursed Madeleine on the bed because the chair was too painful. It was great! I was so happy. I was worried that things would go back to being bad once we got home, but I nursed on the bed again and it went really well. Yay!
Sleeping
We were out of town, so sleep was all kinds of crazy. But now that we're back home, I think things will return to normal. And actually, I've noticed that her naps seems to be longer. She seems to sleep more during the day. It's kinda nice!
Solids/Food
As usual, I think we're moving forward with food, and then it seems we go backwards. I guess this is to be expected. She'll eat really well for a few days, then not so much. It sometimes feels like she will NEVER eat with us, but my friend who did this method assured me that eventually, yes, she will totally get the hang of it.
We ordered Madeleine two sippy cups in the hope that we can help her learn to drink, as she doesn't know how yet. She has no physiological need to drink right now, but we need her to know how so that when she weans, she'll go straight to milk. I'm sure I'll be reporting on that in weeks to come! So far, she doesn't know how to use the sippy cup. She tries to nurse it. But if I tilt it back so water comes out, she swallows it -- which is an improvement. She used to just let it run out of her mouth. We tried water in the bathtub again, and she did better. Got a lot more water down than previous attempts.
Foods she LOVES: biscuits, apples, cantaloupe, peaches, tomatoes
Foods she likes: zucchini, green beans, chicken, carrots, asparagus
Foods she doesn't love: bananas, cucumber.
Potential problem foods: cheese, yogurt (dairy??)
By the book...
According to "Your Baby's First Year, Week by Week," during this week, Madeleine:
1. May lean over while standing against support (she started this in week 43, trying to pick things up that she dropped)
2. Squats and stoops (she tries to pick things up that she's dropped and sometimes manages!)
3. Holds out arm or leg to help you dress him (yes.... started about week 42)
4. Lifts lid from boxes (um, hasn't really had the chance to do this)
5. Speaks a few intelligible words (YES, just started this!!)
6. Asserts himself among siblings (not valid...)
New Things
On Friday, Madeleine kinda sorta started saying "Mama", only she pronounced it like "Muh-muh". And she would say it whenever, it had nothing to do with me. Though occasionally, she will say it AND look at me, and I still really love it.
After returning from Florida, Madeleine really started talking more. Even to the point where she would look at Layla and say "dog." But like "Muh-muh," sometimes she wouldn't be looking at Layla and say it.
BUT! On Monday, Madeleine said her very first bona fide word!! The word was .... (drumroll...) LAYLA! LOL. Naturally. Very fitting. Not mama, or dada, but LAYLA. She would look at Layla, and say, very plainly, "Lay-la." She did it at least 3 times Monday evening, and then first thing Tuesday. Matt went to get her up, and I heard her say it from the other room! It was unprompted, uncoached, and TOTALLY cool. Her first word!! YAY!!
As I've mentioned over the last couple of weeks, Madeleine wants to walk. And walk, and walk, and walk. And every day, she gets more confident. This week, she took a couple of steps while holding onto only ONE hand instead of two, and twice, she let go entirely to grab something else. She's had a few instances of standing, but it's not been intentional. This little girl is going to walk soon, and then WHOA!
So when I think about her walking, it always makes me think about her crawling. She just doesn't dig it. She doesn't want to crawl simply for the sake of crawling, and not much seems to motivate her to crawl. There's not much we can do about it, so we're not going to worry. Keep encouraging her, giving her the opportunity, that kind of thing. :)
Wonder Week 46
Week 46 ends the latest of Madeleine's developmental leaps. Last week was supposedly the worst, and I guess it was slightly harder than previous weeks.
Anyway, after this leap, Madeleine will develop the ability to perceive sequences. For example, pulling a string to get a toy attached to it. She will start to realize that she can achieve an end through a variety of different means; she doesn't always have to do things in the same order. One thing she'll supposedly be able to learn is to put things together, to build. I'm excited to see this, as up until this point, we've dubbed her the Unmaker, due to her tendency to tear things down.
Another fun thing Madeleine will start doing soon (and sorta does) is point to objects and try to talk, try to name the object. She sorta does this, only doesn't point.
Slideshow
Video of the week!


No comments:
Post a Comment