When I finally was able to sit without pain, she cheered: “No more boppy! No more boppy!”
Madeleine often talked about me getting better. She often asked me how I was doing. When dealing with my nursing problem, she would say similar things about me getting better and cheering when things worked out. “No more lump!”
Finally, FINALLY, by the end of this month, I was all better. Nursing problem mostly resolved (certainly no more pain), no more tailbone problem. I’m hoping next month will be just super!
BIG OGRE
One of Matt’s best story characters is the Ogre. Madeleine was drawn to a picture in “Puss in Boots” depicting the ogre talking to the cat. Clearly, she didn’t get the idea that the ogre was the “bad guy,” and became fascinated with him. So Matt starred him in a number of scenarios.
Sometimes, she would ask Matt to be the Ogre, and he would comply with a big booming laugh or some such thing.
Then one day, Madeleine decided that SHE was the ogre! It is so neat to see her little imagination growing and maturing.
FORKLIFT
Madeleine started showing interest in big machines and vehicles before Lincoln was born. She always wanted to watch the forklift at Home Depot, and she enjoyed pointing out bulldozers and school buses that we saw on the road.
Matt took her to Home Depot for kids workshop the first Saturday in September. They arrived before it was all set up, so they got to watch the forklift move pallets of plywood (used as the work spaces) into the area. When she got home from this outing, I was told that SHE was forklift. And she moved wood around.
This continued for the rest of the month. We’d walk in her room in the morning, and she’d say, “I’m forklift!”
We played along and enjoyed her fun. It got to where she’d talk about her forks (hands) and her wheels (feet). Forklift was THE big thing. Sometimes we’d have to call her forklift. And she’s so creative! She has a little Lego car (Duplo)—which I think is technically a train car?—that she piled Lego bricks on and called that her forklift. He was always having adventures and enjoying himself, as any good forklift should. Matt and I considered getting her a forklift toy, but after some discussion, we decided that we wanted her to keep using her imagination, that having an actual forklift might inhibit that in some way. Remember, we don’t really know what we’re talking about! I just didn’t want to start getting her a new toy every time she showed interest in something.
FUN TIMES
I can’t remember why, but Matt got the baby swing down from the attic. It’s for Lincoln to use, but it’s not like he’ll be able to sit in it for awhile, so yeah, I’m not sure why we did it now, but we did. LOL.
Anyway, Madeleine started wanting to swing in the pink swing instead of her usual green toddler swing. So that’s been a new twist to the swing set. I’m guessing Lincoln will get to use it next spring. How fun will that be, both of them outside swinging!
Madeleine made a truck at Home Depot a while ago, and this month, she and Matt painted it yellow.


She also got to “help” Daddy build something (don’t ask me to remember what!). I stood inside and took pics through the window. I’m pretty sure they have no idea I did this! Maybe Matt will comment and remind me what they were doing.



HILARIOUS
Madeleine acquired a bag full of hair ties from an older church friend. She likes getting them out, putting them on her wrists and ankles. I enjoy sorting them by color while she plays (ahem…).
Anyway, while Mimi was visiting, Madeleine brought her the bag of ties and said something like, “I like to play with this hair thing.” Mimi said something vague about a hair thing. Madeleine pointed to a purple one and said, “I was referring to this one.” Mom and I looked at each other and tried not to laugh out loud! What 2.5-year-old says that!?
I think it’s only natural that Madeleine wants to do things that Lincoln does. I’m sure that he wants to do things SHE does, too, but of course he can’t. Anyway, so, this month Madeleine “nursed” Ladybug, drank from Lincoln’s bottle, and swung (a LOT) in Lincoln’s swing.


Here she is putting the nursing shield on her belly!



Speaking of the swing, Madeleine said something that just made us laugh. She and Matt were in the Rumpus Room and she was in the old swing (featured in the pictures above). We bought a swing on Craigslist, and it worked great – until (we think) Madeleine played on it too much and the motor broke. So we went and got another one, letting Madeleine play with the old one.
Anyway, they were together, and Matt was pushing Madeleine in the old swing. She said, “Lincoln will come out here, and he’ll say, ‘What? … Someone’s in my swing?’” There was a big pause after the ‘what.’ Matt said it was just too funny.
You all know that Madeleine is hilarious (and we’re so unbiased, right?). Here are some snaps of her funny play this month:

I’d always thought the refrigerator Matt made was too small for Madeleine, but she proved me wrong here!

This is Puppy, in a sleep sack, in Lincoln’s car seat.

Here Madeleine moved (as a forklift) everything around Daddy.


FUNNY QUOTE
Madeleine: “Daddy, can you build a robot?”
Matt: “No, I’ve got to go hammer a nail.”
Madeleine: “All right, I’ll stay here and build with Legos. And I’ll say, ‘Wait! I hear something. It sounds like a hammer, hammering a nail!’”
END NOTE
See? That’s it. For a whole month. *SIGH*
I do remember thinking, at one point, when she was doing something really neat and independent, “She’ll never be this age again, and I’m missing it.” I resolved to miss as little as I possibly could. I know it’s inevitable and it’s part of having two kids, but it still hurts my heart.
P.S.
Madeleine and Lincoln adore each other, probably more Lincoln than Madeleine right now, but still. It pleases me. I love seeing them together!






So it's called "What We're Up To"? I like that.
ReplyDeleteWow, she looks so much younger in those truck-painting pics. Too sweet.
Boy, I can't remember what that was we were making, though I do recall her help. She was measuring everything with that big ruler. I think all the lengths were "sixty-five."
You outie --- sorting hair ties.
Those pictures of her nursing in the ottoman are too funny. Ha ha!
I think the quote was "Whaaat!? Madeleine's in my swing? ... Swinging!"
I never knew she got in the fridge. Photographic proof!
Ha ha! I remember her being a forklift and piling stuff on me!
Oh, I love that quote. It's like the genesis of the, "Wait, I hear something ..." bit.
I like the blurry photo of her giving him a kiss, and the one of her holding his hand.
"Madeleine is in my swing, swinging back and forth, back and forth" I think was the exact quote. I only know this because I slept out there in the rumpus room and saw those words on the white board every night as I was going to sleep!
ReplyDeleteI laughed until it hurt at the "nursing" photos! Such a serious face! That's because Mommy was in serious pain during nursing, I guess. And I remember how worried she was about Mommy not feeling well. Such an angel.
Weren't you working on the doors for the little room in those pictures? Maybe not.
I like the new look of the blog site and the pictures, of course. Laura, your writing continues to warm my heart as you share your insights as a Mommy with two crazy precious children! (No bias here!)
Love to you all,
Mom